The holiday season just wouldn’t be the same without whipping up a few batches of these wonderful Gingerbread Men. They are fragrant with molasses and ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; the amounts of which can be adjusted to suit your own individual taste.
Total Time Required – 28 Minutes
Preparation – 20 Minutes
Cooking – 7 to 8 Minutes
- 5 ½ Cups of all purpose flour (Start with 5 cups and reserve ½ cup to be used if needed after adding the liquid to the 5 cups. Sometimes it’s needed and sometimes it’s not)
- 1 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons of ginger
- ½ Teaspoon of nutmeg 15½ oz can of black beans, low-salt (drain & rinse)
- 1 Cup of room temperature butter
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1 Cup of molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla
- Sift together the (flour, baking soda, salt & spices)
- Use a large bowl to beat together the butter with the sugar until fluffy, next add the molasses, vanilla and egg and beat until blended
- Stir in the flour about 1/3 at a time and mix well to make a soft dough. If required slowly add the extra reserve flour. Be careful, you don’t want dry dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours (better if left overnight).
- Using a lightly floured board, roll out about ¼ of the dough at a time to 1/8” thick. Cut the dough with cookie cutters, decorate and bake at 350 for 7 to 8 minutes. Be careful, do not over bake.
- Allow the cookies to cool on wire cooling racks and enjoy.