What would a Party on Super Bowl Sunday be without а helping of hearty, healthy 3 bean chili? Every year the Super Bowl becomes a special day in numerous homes when family, friends and guests come together to support their favorite team, watch the long anticipated commercials and enjoy hearty meals. Usually, the food is great but, not usually good for you. It doesn’t matter whether you’re hosting the party or merely taking a dish to your friends party, do yourself and everyone else а favor, prepare а tempting heart healthy meal. Our easy chili recipe is a healthy 3 bean chili that is both heart healthy & delicious; You’ll see your guests returning for more. Of course you don’t need to have a party to enjoy this meal, make it any time of year whenever you have a craving for chili. This recipe will make 4 servings, approximately 2 cups per serving. However, you can easily double or triple the recipe to accommodate your guests.
Total Time Required – 30 Minutes
Preparation – 10 Minutes
Cooking – 20 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 cup of onion (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup of celery, (rinse & chop)
- 1 cup of green bell pepper, (rinse & dice)
- 1 15½ oz can of black beans, low-salt (drain & rinse)
- 1 15½ oz can of red kidney beans, low-salt, (drain & rinse)
- 1 15½ oz can of pinto beans, low-salt (drain & rinse)
- 2 14½ oz cans of diced tomatoes (no salt added) with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 – tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 – tablespoon of chili powder
- Use an 8-quart pot (soup or pasta), heat the oil over a medium heat until it’s hot but not smoking. Add in the onion. Then cook and stir until the onion starts to soften, usually about 5 minutes.
- Add in celery & green pepper. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 5 minutes, you want all the vegetables to soften.
- Add the drained & rinsed beans to the pot.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cumin, & chili powder.
- Bring the chili to а boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 10 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to throughly blend together.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Nutritional value each serving:
Calories – 443
Total fat – 8 grams
Saturated fat – 0 grams
Protein – 22 grams
Fiber – 16 grams
Carbohydrate – 73 grams
Cholesterol – 0 milligrams
Sodium – 331 milligrams
If you’re looking for other hearty, healthy dinner recipes, try our Best Meatloaf Recipe.