What would a Party on Super Bowl Sunday be without а helping of hearty, healthy 3 bean chili? Every year the Super Bowl becomes a special day in numerous homes when family, friends and guests come together to support their favorite team, watch the long anticipated commercials and enjoy hearty meals. Usually, the food is great but, not usually good for you. It doesn’t matter whether you’re hosting the party or merely taking a dish to your friends party, do yourself and everyone else а favor, prepare а tempting heart healthy meal. Our easy chili recipe is a healthy 3 bean chili that is both heart healthy & delicious; You’ll see your guests returning for more. Of course you don’t need to have a party to enjoy this meal, make it any time of year whenever you have a craving for chili. This recipe will make 4 servings, approximately 2 cups per serving. However, you can easily double or triple the recipe to accommodate your guests.
Total Time Required – 30 Minutes
Preparation – 10 Minutes
Cooking – 20 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 cup of onion (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup of celery, (rinse & chop)
- 1 cup of green bell pepper, (rinse & dice)
- 1 15½ oz can of black beans, low-salt (drain & rinse)
- 1 15½ oz can of red kidney beans, low-salt, (drain & rinse)
- 1 15½ oz can of pinto beans, low-salt (drain & rinse)
- 2 14½ oz cans of diced tomatoes (no salt added) with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 – tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 – tablespoon of chili powder
- Use an 8-quart pot (soup or pasta), heat the oil over a medium heat until it’s hot but not smoking. Add in the onion. Then cook and stir until the onion starts to soften, usually about 5 minutes.
- Add in celery & green pepper. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 5 minutes, you want all the vegetables to soften.
- Add the drained & rinsed beans to the pot.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cumin, & chili powder.
- Bring the chili to а boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 10 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to throughly blend together.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Nutritional value each serving:
Calories – 443
Total fat – 8 grams
Saturated fat – 0 grams
Protein – 22 grams
Fiber – 16 grams
Carbohydrate – 73 grams
Cholesterol – 0 milligrams
Sodium – 331 milligrams
If you’re looking for other hearty, healthy dinner recipes, try our Best Meatloaf Recipe.
Do you have family or friends stopping by for something special? Are you fresh out of ideas for something new to try? Do you need something that’s quick & easy to make and healthy? Our Coffee Cake Recipe uses Raisins and Apples and is ideal for a quick breakfast, an afternoon snack or is great for gatherings and get together. Rather than offering your guests some traditional coffee cake, you’ll add in some raisins and delicious apples, and you’ll present а flavorful treat that will be loved by everyone. Combining apples & raisins keeps this coffee cake pleasantly moist. It won’t take much to prepare this quick & easy coffee cake; just grab а bowl, а whisk, some items from your pantry, a little fruit, and about ten minutes of time. Our coffee cake recipe will make approximately 20 servings; each serving is a 3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ piece of cake.
Total Time Required – 85 to 95 Minutes
Preparation – 40 Minutes
Cooking Time – 35 to 40 Minutes
Cooling Time – 10 to 15 Minutes
- 5 cups of apples (peeled, cored & chopped)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of dark raisins
- 1/2 cup of pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350º F.
- Use a lightly oiled pan (13- x 9- x 2-inch).
- Use a large bowl to combine the (apples, sugar, raisins, & pecans). Mix together well then allow to stand, 30 minutes.
- Stir in the (oil, vanilla & egg).
- Sift together the (flour, baking soda, & cinnamon), & stir it into the apple mixture approximately 1/3 at а time; (just enough for it to moisten the dry ingredients).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Let the coffee cake cool slightly prior to serving.
Calories – 196
Total fat – 8 grams
Saturated fat – 1 gram
Protein – 3 grams
Fiber – 2 grams
Carbohydrate – 31 grams
Cholesterol – 11 milligrams
Sodium – 67 milligrams
Are you looking for the best meatloaf recipe? If you’re family is anything like ours than they always enjoy a great hearty meatloaf for dinner. This is one recipe that my family never seems to get tired of, and they always return for seconds or maybe thirds. Anyone that’s ever tried our meatloaf agrees that it definitely lives up to the name. This is a delicious dish that doesn’t last long in our house! By using the lean ground beef and ground turkey you’re also proving a healthier alternative than a traditional meatloaf. Add a salad and vegetable and you’ll serve a meal that’s fit for a king. This recipe will make approximately 8 slices.
Total Time Required – 3 to 6½ hours
Preparation – 20 to 30 minutes
Cook Time – 2 1/2 to 6 hours
- 1 pound of ground beef (extra lean)
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 egg (whole egg)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 cups of bread crumbs (use soft crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning (crushed)
- 1/2 cup of Marinara sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of onion ( dried & chopped)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic-powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic-salt
- Start by folding in half a 30 ” piece of aluminum foil (make sure to fold lengthwise), then place the foil in the bottom of the crock pot leaving each end to hang over the edge of the crock.
- Use a larger bowl, and mix together the following ingredients until they are well blended.
- ground turkey
- extra lean ground beef
- soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of Marinara sauce
- Italian herbs
- garlic salt
- garlic powder
- Next shape the mixture into a your loaf and carefully place the loaf into the crock pot over top of the foil. Evenly spread the 2 tablespoons of remaining Marinara sauce on top of the loaf.
- Cover the crock tightly and allow the loaf to cook on the LOW setting for five to six hours (5 – 6) or on the HIGH setting for two and one half to three hours (2 1/2 – 3).
- Use the ends of the aluminum foil like handels to remove the meat loaf from the crock pot and place it on your serving platter.
Calories – 271
Total Fat – 16g
The holiday season just wouldn’t be the same without whipping up a few batches of these wonderful Gingerbread Men. They are fragrant with molasses and ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; the amounts of which can be adjusted to suit your own individual taste.
Total Time Required – 28 Minutes
Preparation – 20 Minutes
Cooking – 7 to 8 Minutes
- 5 ½ Cups of all purpose flour (Start with 5 cups and reserve ½ cup to be used if needed after adding the liquid to the 5 cups. Sometimes it’s needed and sometimes it’s not)
- 1 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons of ginger
- ½ Teaspoon of nutmeg 15½ oz can of black beans, low-salt (drain & rinse)
- 1 Cup of room temperature butter
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1 Cup of molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla
- Sift together the (flour, baking soda, salt & spices)
- Use a large bowl to beat together the butter with the sugar until fluffy, next add the molasses, vanilla and egg and beat until blended
- Stir in the flour about 1/3 at a time and mix well to make a soft dough. If required slowly add the extra reserve flour. Be careful, you don’t want dry dough.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours (better if left overnight).
- Using a lightly floured board, roll out about ¼ of the dough at a time to 1/8” thick. Cut the dough with cookie cutters, decorate and bake at 350 for 7 to 8 minutes. Be careful, do not over bake.
- Allow the cookies to cool on wire cooling racks and enjoy.